Chicken Makhani or Butter Chicken is a delicious curry in it’s own right, but you will find it an excellent way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I often find this in my local Indian Restaurant’s lunchtime buffet selection, but it is definitely worth ordering a la carte, and even better made at home.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
1 hour, 30 min
- 1/4 pint plain youghurt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red food colouring
- 3 pounds chicken, skinless, jointed
- 2 ounce butter
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 6 green cardamom
- 1/4 pint sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 1/4 pint cream
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix yogurt, ginger, salt and red coloring and rub into chicken. Let it marinate overnight.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and brush with oil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes. Save the liquid, if any.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and fry cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and bayleaf for 1 minute.
- Add sour cream and chicken liquid. Add crushed saffron, and cream. Cover and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and adjust seasoning. Add ground almonds. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to the chicken.
- Let it thicken. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.