This is a version of chicken vindaloo that does not need overnight marination. It is more like a very spicy hot curry than a true vindaloo but it’s useful when you’re in a hurry and you have a craving for a hot spicy curry.
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
1 hour, 10 min
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds whole
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions peeled and sliced
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 inch cube of ginger chopped
- 10 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 pounds chicken breast boneless, diced
- 8 ounce tomato puree
- 1/2 pound potatoes peeled and diced
- Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a spice grinder. In a small bowl, combine ground spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a blender. Turn off the heat, but do not discard the oil. Add about 3 T water (or more if necessary) to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl. This mixture is the vindaloo paste.
- Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add about 3 T water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the ginger, garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds. Add the chicken, a little at a time, and brown lightly.
- Add the vindaloo paste, tomato sauce and potatoes to the chicken in the saucepan. Stir and bring to a slight boil. Cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes are tender.
Serve over rice.